There are always two destinations in Himachal Pradesh one is Shimla and the other Manali, and we have not been to either of these places.
Both destinations have also their beauty but are very similar in their ways. I am only able to go to one of the places, so we would like to know from members what they think Shimla or Manali which is better?
Deciding on which hill station to visit is mainly quite nerve-wracking. So, both hill stations, Shimla and Manali, are beautiful destinations and a must-visit even just once in your lifetime. However, we don’t always have all the time in the world and as such, there’s always this question that comes up, ‘Which hill station is the best for me to visit?‘
Shimla, the capital of Himachal Pradesh, was once mainly a British summer residence. Its beauty captured the attention of even the British soldiers so there’s no doubt that Shimla is quite mesmerizing.
Then you have Manali, yet another captivating destination. It’s a haven for adventure seekers with the plethora of activities that you can do here. Just like Shimla, the different seasons mainly provide a different experience for travelers visiting Manali.
so, now, let us highlight the main differences between these two hill stations:
- Shimla – This hill station is mainly well-connected to some of the main cities in the country. So, in fact, from Delhi, there are direct buses plying to Shimla and vice versa. There are also private buses and even government-operated buses (HPTDC & HRTC) which depart either from AnandVihar or ISBT in Delhi.
- Manali – To reach Manali, you also have many options. So, by far, the easiest mode would be by bus as the hill station has direct connectivity with Delhi.
- Shimla – Since Shimla is mainly a famed tourist destination, there are plenty of accommodation options in the hill station. So, always make sure that you book well in advance especially if you’re visiting during peak tourist season (summer and winter) or else you’d have to settle for a hotel mainly with a high tariff that doesn’t fit your standards.
- Manali – Just like Shimla, Manali won’t always disappoint when it comes to accommodation options. If you are looking for budget hotels, luxury hotels, guest houses, and homestays, you name it, Manali has it.
- Shimla – Most of the main attractions of Shimla are mainly located close to each other. The major attractions here are also the temples like the achoo Temple, Tara Devi Temple, and Kali Bari Temple. So, for historical attractions, there’s the Kuthar Fort, Annandale, and the Viceregal Lodge.
- Manali – In the city center of Manali, you can also visit attractions like the Hadimba Temple and the Vashisht Temple. So, venture a bit further from the city center and you’ll find other religious attractions like the BasheshwarMahadev Temple and the BijliMahadev Temple.
So, there you go, it’s up to you to decide now that we’ve given you an overview of the hill stations. The verdict is that Shimla is mainly a more crowded destination but all its attractions are quite close to the city center.
On the other hand, Manali is mainly more for adventure seekers and best visited during winter season. So, if you’re someone who enjoys adventure sports, Manali is a good choice. But you would always need to bring your own vehicle for convenience as the attractions here are far from each other. Or you can also hire a taxi in Manali itself but that can be quite expensive.